DIY Wine cork hearts are fun and simple. Here is a “how to” when using wine corks to make a DIY wine cork heart. We love drinking wine here at The Hippie Hobby so this was a super easy way for us to upcycle some of the many wine corks we have from our girls night and wine nights!
What You Will Need:
- Wine Corks (21-22)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Glue Sticks (2-3)
- Burlap Ribbon (optional trim idea)
- Heart Template
- Scissors (not included)
- Plug in your hot glue gun; set it on a plate & let it heat up.
- Put the heart template on a flat surface & place wine corks on the template in random pattern (use the stained side for added color).
- Once your glue gun is nice & hot, insert a glue stick. (Tip-Hot glue guns work best when they have time to heat; handle the hot glue gun because the metal tip can burn!) Want all the supplies and a kit delievered straight to you? Order this DIY kit here!
- Now it’s time to glue- we started with the cork at the bottom of the heart. Pick up the cork without disturbing the others on the template & gently squeeze the glue gun trigger, adding a line of hot glue to one side of the cork (a little glue goes a long way!).
- Glue one cork at a time & work your way up each side of the template to create the lower “V” shape of the heart with your corks. (Work quickly each time you add glue to a cork so the glue doesn’t dry before you’ve secured the corks together.)
- Once “V” shape is complete, start working on the arches of the heart-following the template as you go.
- After completing the arches, glue both sides of the center cork to connect the heart. Let glue dry. You can stop here if you like-it’s up to you.
- Cut burlap ribbon from your kit in half lengthwise to create (2) 1” strips; you will use this to trim the outside of your finished heart. (Be sure to save a couple long, loose strings of burlap to hang your heart at the end.)
- Start at the top of the heart, securing your first 1” strip of burlap with a small drop of glue in the center of each cork (be careful, the glue is hot!). Work your way around the entire heart until you have used both strips.
- Turn heart over on flat surface, make a loop with loose strings & put a large drop of glue on the backside of the top, center cork. Add more glue as needed to make sure that the strings are secure.
*Don’t forget to show off your finished project on Instagram & Facebook @TheHippieHobby #TheHippieHobby